Saturday, September 27, 2008

Guest Column!

Feeling Conflicted Over the 2008 Packers? You Aren’t Alone!

by Kate of Southeast Wisconsin
August 2008

I love Brett Favre, and I still love the Packers. I just don't love the current Packer administration. I remember when Favre just started. My brother use to just swear at the TV when Brett threw a wild pass while trying to make something happen. That man has heart, heart for the game and for the people of Wisconsin. What’s not to love?

My favorite picture of Brett will always be at the SB when he was running with his helmet off after we scored. He looked like a kid having the time of his life. Last year someone gave me that picture for Christmas. It was the best present ever. I will cherish it always. I look at it and it takes me back to that very moment. I cried for him when his dad passed and will never forget that game. He came out on the field and did it for his dad. Who does that? Only Brett Favre.

It is easily to understand why he left. After a MVP kind of season how could he not be wanted by the GM and coaching staff? How could so many Packer fans so quickly turn against a once-in-a-lifetime iconic Packer? How many time have Favre and the Packers won the division? I don't understand what is wrong with these people.

I was never upset about the Packers’ loss to the Giants last January. If the Pack lost to anyone, I am glad it was the eventual champs. I wanted just as badly as anyone to return to the SB against the Pats. But it didn't happen, and I was not even depressed this time. I was so thankful we went as far as we did with that young team, and I was proud of Brett for leading so well and coming so very close. Who would have thought back then we would be here now watching “Brett the Jet” eight months later?

What boggles my mind is how Thompson and McCarthy could make such an obvious mistake. I believe if they felt this way by the end of last season, then they deliberately did not make Favre feel welcome to come back and play this year. And I believe they pushed for his answer knowing that he would have needed more time. They knew Brett well enough and took advantage of that. Their first mistake was thinking he would just say “screw it” if he changed his mind and stay retired. How could they forget how much Favre loves playing football?

I actually found myself torn during the Denver preseason game. Part of me sort of wanted Rodgers to play poorly just to spite Ted Thompson, local anti-Favre sports journalists, and spoiled and even hateful fans that are happy to be rid of one of the greatest Packers of all time. But I also want the Packers to play well. I’ve never been so conflicted about the Packers. I missed the drive and desire that I had in years like 2003 and 2007. I enjoyed watching Driver and some of the others including the rookies to see which ones had the most potential. But unconditional support wasn’t there, and I really miss that. But now I have two teams to follow and cheer for! It will be a big change this year, and one that may take some getting use to.

No comments: